Saturday 22 January 2011

Bohemian Waxwings in North Warwickshire


A pair of Waxwings taking part in a spot of berry swapping.
Grendon, Warwickshire - January 2011

After spending over three weeks suffering from 'pig flu' and following the death of my beloved Nikon Coolpix 4500 camera I've found it pretty tough to get 'blog motivated' just lately.  Now I'm back to full fitness though and after securing a bargain Samsung NV3 on e-bay, I'm hoping that those dark days of birding depression are behind me.... as long as I don't dwell on dipping the Slaty-backed Gull too much!

This morning I thought I'd venture out and try my new camera on a few common birds just to get a bit of practice in before any rarities start turning up.  Before I did though I drove the short distance to Grendon to see if there were any Waxwings knocking around the berry laden trees on the St Nicholas housing estate.  My persistence at this site was at last rewarded when a small group were located without even leaving the car.  In total there were 19 birds present.  Unfortunately the dingy weather conditions were not great for digi-scoping but I was quite happy with my initial shot using the new camera, hand-held up to my scope.  All I need now is a bit of sunshine and an adaptor and hopefully the photos will improve.    


No comments:

Post a Comment